HISTORY Since the middle of the 19th century artists, especially pain - ters settled in the county of Landsberg, particularly on the western shore of the Ammersee, some for a short, some for a longer period of time. The migration out of overcrowded cities and the painting “plein-air” in the attractive landscape were important motives. One of the first was Wilhelm Leibl (1844-1900) who retreated to Unterschondorf for two years, followed by further colleagues and friends. In the summertime between 1885 and 1890 many artists convened at Dießen. After a day‘s intensive work they gathered in the local inns at night. One of them was the even today honoured “duck painter” Alexander Koester (1865-1932) who built his own house at Dießen. After the turn of the century professors of art academies came with their students to the Ammersee, especially with female students, the so-called “Malweiber”, who then were not yet admitted to academies, receiving private instruction. The most reputized was Christian Landenberger (1862-1927) from Stuttgart. He spent his summers at Dießen over decades. Further, two contemporary painters are to be mentioned: the “Bauhaus” follower Fritz Winter (1905-76), one of the most famous German artists after 1945. He retired at Dießen in 1935. The bohemian painter Helmut Zimmermann (1924-2015), in a sense a student of Fritz Winter, found a new home here from 1948 to 1988.
Bildende Kuenstler im Landkreis Landsberg
To see the actual publication please follow the link above